Monday, June 10, 2013

Vacation Ends...with a SHOCK!

Tuesday we got ready and packed up.  We had decided to go to this Time Share presentation because they paid us $150, and we went but it was SO ANNOYING!  Have you guys ever done those?  Oh my gosh...we knew going in we were NOT going to buy anything, but they DID NOT want to take no for an answer.  We finally got out of there (with our hard-earned free money!!) but I do not plan on doing that again for a LONG TIME!  We finally got home around 7:30, ran by Little Caesar's and got a pizza, and came home to unload and eat some supper.  I'm one of those people who cleans my house like crazy before we leave on a trip because I LOVE coming home to a super clean house.  So when we got home we ate, unloaded everything, and put Brynn to bed.  We had put everything away and were just getting ready to relax when we decided to put the empty suitcases downstairs...we open the basement door and immediately smell a "mildew-y" smell.  Ryan yells "NO!"  And runs downstairs and steps in soaking wet carpet!  AHHHH!  It was BAD!

Well...evidently Friday night and Saturday, our town had a TON of rain, and it somehow came in part of the basement.  So instead of relaxing, things got crazy!  Remember how even though half our basement was covered in "stuff" we needed to organize, I at least had the "family room" part that was clean and we could play and fold laundry in there...well...that is GONE!  (For now...)

Bye bye organized family room/play area...
Both our dads came over with fans and de-humidifiers.  They started moving furniture to see how far the water had gotten...


Ryan had to peel off some of the baseboards to get to the carpet...yuck!

I'm living in a CRAZY house!

Moving more furniture...
And then things got even worse when they realized that some of the carpet was so wet that they were going to have to peel it up to remove the soaking wet pad underneath.  I don't think it would have been AS BAD if  it hadn't just been sitting there for three days...but by now it was just gross!

Just what everyone wanted to be doing at 10:30 at night...
with me snapping pictures along the way!


Yep...not going to be folding laundry down here for a couple of weeks...

A bunch of the carpet pad got taken to the dump...and then we are attempting to dry
out the carpet so we can keep it.
They ripped up the pad, and rigged up a bunch of tubs underneath the wet carpet so it would dry.  We've had fans on it for like three days and it is dry.  We called a carpet company and they came and looked at everything.  They said we can keep the existing carpet (hallelujah!)  They are just going to replace the pad that was ruined and spray some stuff on the carpet, and then re-lay it.   I might have some semblance of our basement back in a week!


But until then...this is what it looks like when you walk down the basement stairs!  HA!  God is good...none of our stuff got ruined, and it shouldn't cost a crazy amount to fix everything.  But let me tell you...coming home to this after vacation wasn't exactly fun!  =)  Oh well...all part of home-ownership I guess!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, man! I had no idea! That STINKS!!! I'm glad to hear that you can fix it, but what a PAIN! I guess no partying at the Bandermann's for a bit! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry. Will home owners not do it all for you? Oh well, just another bump in the road. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger. Sometimes I think I am as strong as I need to be. Guess you feel the same way.lolHave I told you I hate word verification????lol

    ReplyDelete