Thursday, May 9, 2013

Celebrating Dad with the Lion King

As many of you know, last August/September was a rough time for our family.  My dad got very sick.  At first we thought it was just a really bad flu, but then within a couple of weeks we learned that he had a life-threatening bacteria or virus growing on his aortic heart valve.  He needed immediate open heart surgery and it was a very scary time.  God used a very talented medical team, and an AMAZING heart surgeon to heal my dad, and we couldn't be more thankful!!!!

Back in August, my parents were supposed to go see the Lion King musical at the Fox Theater with some friends.  It was about a week or two before he got sick, and I remember thinking "oh, I hope he gets over this flu quickly so he doesn't have to miss it!"  (Ryan and I had seen it before and it is amazing...we didn't want him to miss out).  Well, a few days before they were supposed to go see the show, my dad was admitted to the hospital.  At that point, the doctors still didn't know what was wrong, but clearly he wasn't going to Saint Louis to see the show.  I remember being so disappointed they couldn't see it.  These pics were taken before we realized something really MAJOR was going on...  





We had no idea that within a week he would be in a fight for his life.  And while I don't like looking at this next picture, it is such a good reminder of how precious life is, and how grateful we are that my dad is still here with us.



Once we realized my dad was going to be okay we started thinking that as a "celebration" we should all try to go see the Lion King.  We looked it up, but it was in places like Detroit and LA.  We finally found out that it would be coming to Nashville of all places (what a God thing!) this May.  We immediately made plans to go see it.  So this Wednesday we took Brynn over to Pamaw's for the afternoon/evening, and my parents and Ryan and I headed to Nashville.  (I think if Brynn was maybe a year or two older we would have tried to take her to the show...but she's just two and the show wasn't going to get over until after 10:00.  I think it was probably a good decision).  We picked up Lindsey and Curt and had a celebration dinner at Old Spaghetti Factory before heading to the theater.  I was too choked up to pray, but the boys took over.  =)




The musical was awesome, and I was seriously worried that I would just lose it during the show...I figured that pregnancy hormones combined with how special this was that Dad was finally getting to see it would just be too much for me!  HA!  I am pleased to say that I made it through without embarrassing myself! HA!

We hung out late into the night, and then got up early Thursday morning and headed to the famous Loveless Cafe for breakfast, before saying bye to Lindsey and Curt.


Attempting a picture...
We could not stop laughing at this picture!  HAHAHA!

I am so thankful for my dad...he is such an amazing dad and grandpa!  GOD IS SO GOOD!

1 comment: