Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Dyeing Easter Eggs

On Good Friday, Brynn and I dyed some Easter eggs.  We picked out a "princess egg dyeing kit" at the store (what else?) and it was lots of fun!  Instead of boiling the eggs, a family friend told me you can "bake" them in the oven (325 degrees for like 25 minutes) and it worked!  You just put them in a muffin tin and they come out perfectly "hard-boiled."  (They did have some weird brown spots that wiped right off...I have no idea what that was about!)

Baking our eggs...


Our kit had little tablets so all we had to do was drop them in the water/vinegar.  She wanted to drop all of the colors in and we had fun guessing and saying what color the water was turning...little moments!



I think she had just eaten some BBQ chips...pardon the messy face!


Her favorite color right now is PURPLE and our kit gave us two blue tablets instead of purple, so we had a little color mixing lesson =) and made our own with pink and blue.  She LOVED stirring it together and seeing if the egg turned purple.



My little scientist here...




The kit came with lots of princess stickers so we had to cover the eggs with them.  She was so excited to show Daddy when he came home for lunch.


I have to admit I was a little nervous about egg-dying with a two year old, but she did great and it was much easier than I thought (those little tablets probably helped...I can only imagine her wanting to drop food coloring in the water, that would probably not have gone nearly as well! HA!)  She cracked one egg when she was putting it on the tray and she was like "uh-oh mommy, broke!"  HA!

1 comment:

  1. So sweet! Amelia wasn't as gentle with her eggs...maybe next year, right?

    ReplyDelete