Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Fall Baking: Too Much Cooking Makes Us SICK!

Something about this fall (could it be all the cute fall food ideas on Pinterest?) has turned me into a wanna-be Martha Stewart.  So last Thursday morning I decided we were going to make homemade applesauce in the crock-pot and then make some white chocolate chip pumpkin muffins in the afternoon.  We were also going to make these chocolate dipped "acorns" (using donut holes and sprinkles) but we never got to that...


Yes, we peeled all the apples in the family room...we needed a big space to sit!

I think she ATE half of my apples!




Stirring in some cinnamon, brown sugar, and some lemon juice (and peel).
 By lunchtime...it was DONE and very yummy!  It didn't really taste like applesauce...more like the fried apples you can get at Cracker Barrel (well, if I'm being honest, not THAT good, but close!)

YUMMY!
 Before nap-time we whipped up some white chocolate chip pumpkin muffins.  Thank goodness we have a kitchen-aid mixer...we popped them in the oven and they came out right after Brynn went down for her nap. I got to have one all to myself while watching "The Talk".  FUN TIMES!  I even added in some dried cranberries because walnuts didn't really sound that good...I felt like Martha Stewart!  HAHA!  And the entire time I was cooking, I felt like "mom of the year" because my sweet little child was scooping little beans so nicely into an egg carton...I thought I'd snap a pic because I was so proud.


And then I remembered I had tried this before and it didn't end well last time.  WHY WHY WHY did I think it would work this time?  See pic below...mom of the year award had been revoked and vacuum award given out.  WHAT A MESS!  And Brynn is now scared of the vacuum and my vacuum didn't pick the beans up anyway...


After I ate my delicious (or what I THOUGHT at the time was delicious) muffin and had a couple hours to myself, I realized I was starting to not feel very good.  When Brynn woke up I had to be back to my energetic self, but wasn't feeling it.  I decided I'd go to the gym so I could drop Brynn off at the gym daycare and just walk quietly and have some time to myself to see if I'd feel better.  Two laps later, I was feeling TERRIBLE...I decided to go lay down in the sauna (probably not the best idea but I wanted to lay down and I had to do it somewhere at the gym).  I thought I was feeling better, but when I got out I literally didn't think I would make it walking back to my gym locker.  I drove home and stopped at Ryan's parents house to see if they could watch Brynn for about an hour until Ryan got off work.  I started BAWLING at Pam's...I was a mess!  I went home and starting puking...moral of the story...don't make my pinterest pumpkin muffins!  HA!  When Ryan and Brynn came home Brynn tried to cheer me up...ha!





Later that night Ryan was getting Brynn ready for bed and I heard him say "UH OH!!!"  Brynn had THROWN UP in the bathtub!  It was the first time she had ever thrown up.  That started a cycle of her throwing up every half hour to hour until 4:30 in the morning...what a night.  Ryan was such a trooper...I felt so bad that I was NO HELP at all.  He had to give her another bath about an hour later because it had gotten in her hair and on her PJ's.  She was in our bed and she would lay there and all of a sudden she would make a coughing noise and Ryan would sit her up as fast as he could, shove a little bucket under her, and she  would throw up in it.  He would wipe her little mouth and she would lay back down and fall asleep until about 30 minutes later when it happened all over again.  WOW...so needless to say I don't think I'll be making anything with pumpkin in it for quite a while...

By about 4:30 she was sleeping good and when she woke up she was completely back to her normal self.  You wouldn't even know anything had been wrong...me on the other hand, I was still so yucky feeling.  I think not sleeping all night probably added to not feeling good.  I was supposed to sub the next day which obviously didn't happen, and when I told Nonna that Brynn wouldn't be coming she said that several had been throwing up.  My sweet mom offered to watch Brynn for awhile on Friday so I could just sleep, and I finally started to feel much better.  Thankfully it was just a 24 hour thing, but still...

Sunday my mom called and said that my dad was sick!  And then my mom threw up Sunday night!  YIKES!  Thankfully it didn't last too long and they are both feeling better.  NO MORE FALL COOKING FOR ME!

No comments:

Post a Comment