Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Royal Icing Cookies

Something I've been wanting to try for awhile is making sugar cookies and using Royal Icing to decorate them.  I follow some blogs and instagrams of some AMAZING cookie decorators and thought it would be fun to try it...and my friend Emily has been making some too and they are so cute!  So with all that inspiration, Brynn and I baked another batch of sugar cookies (I think my first ones were a little too thin).


I don't know when I'll ever learn that baking cookies automatically means get the vacuum cleaner ready...we are going to make a big mess!  HA!




She loves the part where you need to add some flour...and it ends up EVERYWHERE!  HA!




And then...THIS HAPPENED...


OH.MY.GOSH.  Flour EVERYWHERE!  She said she would try to help pick it up...gee thanks Brynn!


She tried using her spoon and then her hands to put it back in the bowl.


I promise none of that flour was used in the baking of any cookies...


The next night my friend Jennilee and her hubby and girls came over.  The boys were going to hang out with the girls downstairs while we attempted making the icing (which is kind of a tricky part) and decorated some cookies.  SO MUCH FUN!

My fearless coach...she knows lots about decorating and was showing me the ropes.  I didn't even
know how to put those little silver icing tips in the bags and things like that.  
We made the Royal Icing and it turned out to be easier than I thought...not simple by any means, but we got the hang of it!


Then we labeled all of our different colors and types of icing...


So you use a thicker version of the icing to "outline" the cookie, and then fill it in (or "flood it") with a thinner version...this was our first attempt at outlining...HA!


But we gradually got better and better...here are a couple of our first cookies.


Millie and Brynn had fun playing (and eating) downstairs!



Even Lyla and Emory got to hang out with the big girls...




And here is a picture of some I snapped on my phone...


I definitely have a lot to learn when it comes to making and icing these kind of cookies, but we had SO MUCH FUN making them and I am really looking forward to making some in the future.  I would LOVE to make some cute 3's and Hello Kitty cookies for Brynn's birthday in March...Hopefully I have plenty of time to practice before then!  

No comments:

Post a Comment