Friday, April 27, 2012

I Need More Iron!

Brynn's had an eventful couple of days...she's gotten her blood drawn twice!  At her one year check-up our doctor took some blood to check her iron levels (evidently they started doing this a couple years ago).  Her iron was low, so for the last three weeks she's been on iron drops.  Tuesday we had to take her back to get re-checked.  The nurse called Thursday and asked if we had been giving her the drops...I figured that was a bad sign!  Turns out her iron levels didn't go up at all!  So...after school on Thursday I had to take her back to the doctor to get more blood taken so they could do a more in-depth look at her levels.  I tried not to freak out when the nurse asked me if we had a family history of anemia or "thalessemia minor" (I don't even know what that is, but it didn't sound great...).  They called today and said that her tests show that she's definitely iron deficient, but all her other levels (like white blood cells and platelets) look good.  So...bottom line...everything is fine, but she has to be on iron drops for four more weeks and three times a day instead of two.  We are so thankful for the good news!



Got a Dora sticker for being such a good patient at the lab!


She LOVES to stir!
Hopefully she won't have to have anymore blood work once this is all over...I don't know if I can take any more needles, finger pricks, and vials of blood...it's a wonder I haven't passed out yet at the lab!


2 comments:

  1. Poor Brynn!

    I have a decent amount of experience with anemia, so I'll share some tips. :)

    If she is low on vitamin C, that can inhibit her body's ability to absorb iron, so add some vit c drops to her regimen. Or try the emergen-c packets in some water and see if she'll drink it (we give one to Isaac every day because vit c is also a great way to boost immunity).

    Also, there is a product called Floradix that, in my experience, works way better than iron drops. There is a kids version too.

    Good luck, I hope her levels are up at the next appt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor baby. Hopefully you will get this straightened out. Soon. I sent you an e-mail. I did get your comment on my blog. The one I don't know how it posted.lol I hate new blogger. I can't do it. WAH

    ReplyDelete