Thursday, November 10, 2011

New York Days 3 and 4




Saturday morning (Day 3) we slept in and went into the city a little later.  We were going to eat at the famous Carnegie's Deli (our friend Mike said it was the BEST place...he also calls is "CarNEGGies"...how's that for a southern accent!) but it was super crowded so we ate at the deli next door.  Then we all went to see the Lion King!  It was AWESOME! 

It was SO GOOD!


Kyle, Rick, Pam, Jason, Sarah, me, and Ryan
After the show we went shopping at FAO Schwarz to buy toys for Brynn and Ansley.  That store is SO MUCH FUN!  We watched the workers play some Chrismas songs on the big piano.  Then Jason, Ryan, and Aaron went back to the hotel (we were staying in Manhattan the night before the marathon) to eat supper and chill before the race, and Kyle, Sarah, Pam, Rick, and I did a little more shopping and then ate at a cute little restaurant near Times Square and our hotel...Sarah and I SPLIT a hamburger and mozerella sticks and each had to pay $20!  New York is NOT cheap!  AHHH!

Sunday was RACE DAY!  The race didn't start until 9:30 and they started on Staten Island (which we weren't going to watch because it would be such a long subway ride) so we slept in and then got up and headed to Brooklyn to see them around mile 8.   Jason ran with his cell phone and was able to call (while running) to tell us about where they were and when we would see them.  With 47,000 runners in the race we had to know which side of the road they were going to be on or we would NEVER have seen them...it was SO CROWDED!  We got to watch them in Brooklyn and then we took the subway to Harlem to watch them around mile 22.  It was SO COOL to go to these different places and see all the runners.  We also got to see some of the pro runners.  They were running faster than I could sprint!  The sad thing is I don't have one good picture of the boys running or just of the race in general.  Sarah was taking video with her phone, I was trying to take video on our video camera, and Rick was in charge of pictures.  Hopefully once I get some from Rick I can post them because it was just awesome to watch.  I got goosebumps watching all the people running.  My sister and I ran the Chicago marathon 2 years ago and it made me want to run another marathon so badly!  (Then I tried to make myself remember how I couldn't walk for about a week after the race and that took care of that pretty quick!)

Here is the ONE picture I took...we were in Brooklyn and these were some of the pro men.

SO PROUD OF YOU GUYS!

The boys ran as part of Team ING (the financial company that sponsors the marathon).  ING hosted a "family reunion" event after the race for runners to meet back up with family members.  It was at the Museum of Natural History, which is right by Central Park where the marathon finishes.  It was AWESOME!

Aaron and Marissa, Ryan and me, and Sarah and Jason

GOOD JOB RYAN!  How cute is my husband??

We had SO MUCH FUN watching the boys run the marathon!  They ran through all five boroughs (Staten Island, Brooklyn, Queens, The Bronx, and then Manhattan) of New York City and said it was such a cool way to see the city.  GOOD JOB BOYS!  We are so proud of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment